May 30 2016 - May 31 2017
Jun 1 2017 onwards
44. Filing and serving a defence
(1) A defendant who wishes to defend all or part of a claim must file a defence and serve a copy of it on the claimant and every other party within 28 days after service of the claim.
(2) If a defendant fails to file and serve a defence, and the period for doing so has expired, the claimant may obtain default judgment if
allows him to do so.
(3) This rule does not apply where the claimant uses the
(4) Where the defendant makes an application under
, he need not file and serve a defence before the hearing of that application.
June 1, 2017