ADGM COURTS, CIVIL EVIDENCE, JUDGMENTS, ENFORCEMENT AND JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS REGULATIONS AMENDMENT NO 1 OF 2017
Date of Enactment: 19 April 2017
The Board of Directors of the Abu Dhabi Global Market, in exercise of its powers under Article 6(1) of Law No. 4 of 2013 concerning the Abu Dhabi Global Market issued by His Highness the Ruler of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, hereby enacts the following Regulations —
Amendments to ADGM Courts, Civil Evidence, Judgments, Enforcement and Judicial Appointments Regulations 2015
The ADGM Courts, Civil Evidence, Judgments, Enforcement and Judicial Appointments Regulations 2015 are amended as follows:
(1) In Section 167(1)(e), the words "for the payment of money" shall be deleted.
(2) Section 171(2), shall be amended so that it reads as below:
"The Courts shall recognise and enforce judgments for the payment of a sum of money rendered by a recognised foreign court in accordance with this Chapter, not being a sum payable in respect of taxes or other charges of a like nature or in respect of a fine or other penalty."
(4) In Section 173(4)(c), the word "the" shall be deleted and replaced with the word "any".
(5) In Section 173(8), the words "the sum" shall be deleted and replaced with "any sum".
(6) Section 177, shall be amended so that it reads as below:
"No proceedings for the recovery of any sum of money payable under, or for any other relief which is the subject of, a judgment of a recognised court, being a judgment to which this Chapter applies, shall be entertained by any Court other than proceedings by way of registration of the judgment."
(7) In Section 178(1), the words "or would have applied if a sum of money had been payable thereunder, whether or not it can be registered, and whether, if it can be registered, it is registered or not," shall be deleted.
(8) In Section 178(2)(a)(i), the words "in the case of a recognised foreign court," shall be inserted before "that a sum of money was not payable under the judgment; or"
(9) Section 184(2)(c), shall be amended so that it reads as follows:
"deferral of payment of fees;"
(10) Section 184(2)(d), shall be amended so that it reads as follows:
"full or part remission of fees."
(11) In Section 227(1), the word "Court" found in "right of audience" and "right to conduct litigation" shall be deleted and replaced with lowercase "court".